Careers that Change Lives
This individual will be part of a corporate Global Trade Legal, Compliance, Supply Chain, and Policy team in the Global Operations and Supply Chain Legal Department composed of lawyers and compliance professionals that combines deep substantive expertise in global trade areas core to Medtronic’s business with in-house understanding of Medtronic’s businesses. This individual will serve as a key member of the export legal and compliance team. Team members work across business units and geographies resulting in unique ability to 1) advise businesses on complex legal regulatory questions, 2) identify common and conflicting legal issues and positions across the company, and 3) contribute to high-level policy decision-making.
This individual will provide legal and compliance advice to help mitigate risks and maintain compliance and provide support to Global Trade Operations, global regional and business unit lawyers, and other relevant Medtronic functions. Specific global trade areas of legal and compliance consult will include but are not limited to: Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”), OFAC sanctions and trade controls, global export controls and sanctions, sanctioned country licensing, restricted party screening, anti-boycott activity and reporting.
This position could reside in either Minneapolis, MN; Washington, D.C.; or at or near a Medtronic site in the U.S. and will work per the hybrid guidelines. This position reports to the Senior Legal Director & Chief Counsel for Global Trade, Global Operations and Supply Chain Legal.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Provide legal guidance on the intersection of global trade compliance and strategic business initiatives
- Support export legal and compliance program activities (Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”), OFAC sanctions and trade controls, global export controls and sanctions, sanctioned country licensing, restricted party screening, anti-boycott activity and reporting)
- Develop, implement and update the trade compliance program to drive compliance with global export laws, regulations and other trade-related requirements of US and non-US government agencies.
- Partner with enterprise and regional legal teams to develop legal/compliance standards and to implement risk mitigation activities on key global trade risks.
- Partner with enterprise supply chain, regional trade experts, and global/regional functional teams to manage export trade legal and compliance risks and work with such teams to implement effective controls to mitigate trade compliance risks.
- Partner with corporate and regional compliance teams to implement trade compliance program activities, serving as the export trade legal and compliance subject matter expert (SME).
- Provides strategic legal and compliance guidance for export program development.
- Ensure legal requirements related to company’s global trade compliance policies and processes are current.
- Provide legal support to colleagues on global trade related litigation, compliance investigations and voluntary disclosures.
- Identify and drive mitigation of global trade legal risks that cross Medtronic businesses and facilitate information sharing across Medtronic businesses.
- Collaborate with business and regional partners on due diligence reviews of global trade compliance matters in connection with potential business development activities.
- Develop expertise and apply knowledge in discrete areas of global trade regulation and compliance.
- Exhibit a collaborative mindset in working globally, particularly in a matrix environment.
- Possess effective interpersonal, oral, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Have the ability to identify and proactively manage complex legal and compliance risks.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Juris Doctor from nationally recognized Law School
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state or the District of Columbia
- 5+ years of legal experience with global trade legal and compliance programs
Nice to Have
- 10+ years of experience with global trade legal and compliance programs preferred
- Understanding of the legal regulatory environment and business risks for a Life Science Company
- Experience in contracting, specifically in the areas of transportation and logistics or general procurement, would be a plus
- Experience in the healthcare/medical device industry
- Experience with change management and/or process efficiency efforts (i.e. Lean Sigma)
- Project / program management experience
- Proven influence management skills, both internal and external, with political savvy to communicate effectively with executive leaders and understand business
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)