The Crisis at the WTO: Where Do We Go From Here?
Thursday, November 21st, 2019
9:00 AM-10:30 AM
A significant outcome of the Uruguay Round was the Dispute Settlement Understanding (DSU) which created a system of binding dispute settlement with a new Appellate Body (AB) to adjudicate trade disputes. Efforts to update the DSU and to address the shortcomings of the AB have been unsuccessful thus far, raising the potential for a crisis when the Appellate Body is no longer able to function after December 2019. While WTO Members are continuing to file dispute resolution cases, the way forward for the AB is unclear.
Please join WITA as we look at the crisis with the Dispute Settlement Understanding and the Appellate Body, and discuss where the World Trade Organization should go from here.
- Stacy J. Ettinger, Partner, K&L Gates LLP
- Marvin Hildebrand, Minister (Economic), Embassy of Canada
- Jennifer Hillman, Senior Fellow for Trade & International Political Economy,Council on Foreign Relations
- Bruce Hirsh, Principal, Tailwind Global Strategies LLC & Of Counsel to Capitol Counsel LLC
- Terry Stewart, formerly, Managing Partner, Law Offices of Stewart and Stewart
Additional Speakers TBA!
If you are Hill staff and wish to attend, please email Diego Anez firstname.lastname@example.org