The WITA Academy Fellowship Program is designed for the next generation trade professionals who want to immerse themselves in the Washington D.C. trade policy community. This paid, in-person, 12-month fellowship will provide candidates with invaluable work experience, access to a powerful network of international trade professionals, and a chance to showcase your leadership and management skills in the nation’s capital.
The WITA Academy Fellow is responsible for consistently delivering quality membership services, event staffing, and support as needed to the Managing Director and Executive Director.
The WITA Academy Fellow will assist WITA’s senior leadership team in management of the day-to-day activities of the WITA Office. They will serve as a liaison with internal and external constituencies involved in WITA’s management and publicly-facing activities. They will oversee intern training, and provide support in event management and research. The WITA Academy Fellow will also manage long term projects that promote the growth of WITA, the Academy and the Foundation.
We are seeking applicants with a general interest in international trade and international relations. Previous in-office work-place experience is helpful; applicants with strong organizing or leadership experience will excel in event management activities. The WITA Academy Fellow will need to be able to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision and be a self-starter and independent learner. Ideal candidates include recent undergraduates or those pursuing a graduate degree.
The WITA Fellow is expected to be available to work, in-person, at the WITA offices in Washington, DC, with opportunities to flexibly work from home in coordination with the senior management.
The ideal candidate should be friendly and assertive, with an upbeat “can-do” attitude. They should be flexible and organized, and thrive in a fast paced environment. Candidates should also be detail and solution-oriented with an entrepreneurial spirit. This position plays a key role in maintaining the organization’s online research database; event and meeting coordination; management of the WITA internship program; and working with WITA’s Board of Directors.
In order to draw applicants from a diverse pool of candidates, the Washington International Trade Foundation will offer compensation of $3,000 per month to the WITA Academy Fellow, plus a transportation stipend for use on Washington, DC metro area public transportation.
Duties and Responsibilities of the WITA Academy Fellow:
- Supervise WITA Interns and volunteers.
- Serve as a central point of contact between WITA interns and WITA management.
- Manage the WITA office when senior management works remotely.
- Provide substantive and administrative support in the development, implementation, and marketing of WITA programs.
- Assist with webinars, in-person events, special projects, and general problem resolution.
- Coordinate activities of support staff, vendors, and volunteers engaged in implementation of WITA objectives.
- Manage the work of the WITA intern team to support administrative tasks, and in the creation of reports, databases, program handbooks, and other materials.
- Maintain records, generate data and reports.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Provide support for future WITA Academy fellows during application process and onboarding.
- Take part in community events and other networking opportunities to raise the profile of WITA and partner organizations.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Skill in coordinating and organizing meetings and/or special events.
- General office skills, including database management, word processing, and clerical support.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Experience in resources management.
- Ability to lead and train staff.
- Willingness to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and generate reports.
- Advanced writing and editorial skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
We are now seeking applications for our WITA Academy Fellowship Program beginning Summer 2022. Applications are now open through XXX.
The WITA Academy Fellowship Program generally runs from July to July, but can begin as soon as June, and conclude following the WITA/WITF Annual Dinner the following year (Dinner is typically held in July).
To Apply – Please send the following to WITA’s Managing Director Diego Anez firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter
- response to the following writing prompt: “Why do you want to be a part of the DC Trade Community?”
Please do not submit additional information apart from the three items listed above. No calls or faxes, please.
ABOUT WITA ACADEMY
The WITA Academy (™) is a program of the Washington International Trade Foundation. The Academy makes trade education accessible to communities in the United States and around the world.
The WITA Academy will work with trade leaders in businesses, law, academia, NGOs, embassies and the U.S. Government to help stakeholders better understand and navigate the U.S. and global trade policy landscape.