The government of China has pledged to renew its contribution of USD 500,000 (CHF 451,500) to the WTO’s Least Developed Countries and Accessions Programme (also known as the China Programme) in 2020. The contribution was confirmed on 1 December 2020 at a signing ceremony with WTO Deputy Director-General Yonov Frederick Agah and China’s Ambassador to the WTO, Zhang Xiangchen.
Initiated in July 2011 under the WTO’s Aid for Trade initiative, the China Programme aims to enable least-developed countries (LDCs) to better integrate into the global economy by strengthening their participation in WTO activities and helping those not yet members join the Organization.
The China Programme provides financing to support:
- WTO accessions internships
- WTO accessions round table meetings
- LDCs’ participation in WTO meetings
- South-South Dialogue on LDCs and Development
- LDCs Trade Policy Review Follow-up Workshops
To read the full press release, click here.