Libyan General Khalifa Haftar said he will lift a blockade on Libyan crude production after an agreement with the country’s deputy premier, but it was unclear whether the deal that excluded the National Oil Co. would actually restart exports.
Haftar, whose forces control oil-rich eastern Libya, said on television that he has decided to allow the reopening of the nation’s ports “as per conditions and guarantees that ensure a fair distribution of wealth and spare it being plundered or used in terrorism financing.” The announcement was the result of talks with Ahmed Maiteeq, deputy prime minister of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord.
It’s unclear how much of the 1.1 million barrels a day Libya was pumping prior to the blockade could actually return to the market, or how quickly. Libya’s National Oil Co. has previously denounced the “secretive” talks between Haftar and Maiteeq and has said it won’t resume exports until foreign mercenaries leave the country — something that’s not part of Friday’s deal.
To read the full article, click here